Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning: Fumes Overcome 42 in US Merchant Marine Academy Dorm

A carbon monoxide (CO) leak, apparently from heating equipment, last night filled a dormitory at the US Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, Long Island, New York. The New York Post reports 42 midshipmen were sickened and 39 treated at local hospitals. Three victims with the highest CO levels were airlifted to the nearest emergency-ready hyperbaric oxygen chamber at Jacobi Hospital in the Bronx. Every year CO poisoning accounts for some 50,000 emergency room visits and kills about 450 Americans by accidental exposure alone. Visit our Carbon Monoxide Poisoning page for more information about the use of hyperbaric oxygen and the mounting clinical evidence for this FDA-cleared and UHMS-approved indication.

No comments:

Post a Comment